Thursday, March 3, 2011

The lawsuit

Life is really an interesting thing. What I have experienced is that when I open my mind to the possibilities and TRUST MY INTUITION I can create great things! Here's how the lawsuit started.
My friend received an unusual letter that claimed the banks might not have a right to foreclose. She decided to schedule a meeting with the person who sent the letter. Her boyfriend thought it could be a scam, so she called me to go along with her to the meeting.
Knowing the letters I've been receiving since I got behind on  my own mortgages I wondered too if it was a scam. We met Michael at a busy coffee shop. When I arrived we looked around and noticed this older, disheveled man that was pouring over what appeared to be legal documents. This was going to be an interesting conversation. My first motivation was to protect my younger friend. I most definitely had my guard up.
Once we got to talking I learned that Michael was "voluntarily homeless". He is 67 years old and from the first appearance looks as if he has had a hard life. What I found out was that he really understood the law and had filed over 35 different lawsuits in his lifetime. The more I listened the more I realized that this was a man who wanted to help people understand the system and the fact that it was broken.
After the first meeting I walked away thinking how bizarre that experience was. It was like being in the twilight zone. Here I am, an educated, intelligent woman taking advice from a homeless man. Wow. But my instincts told me that he really did know what he was talking about.
I've grilled him on what his purpose of this is. He said he wants to help people stay in their homes. But why, I asked? There's got to be something you want. His final response to the question I asked over and over was, "maybe I will get a house out of it".
This lawsuit is not about money. The pure essence of it is to stop the madness in the foreclosure world and have not only the lenders but MERS take responsibility in abiding by the LAW. I am fully prepared to give back my house to the bank. But from the foreclosure letter is is so muddled it's hard to tell who is really foreclosing. This isn't about a free lunch. I'm a responsible adult and have asked for little help along the way in my life. Hearing the stories of people who are in this situation, terrified and embarrassed and unable to maneuver in the system that is currently set up I am just willing to take a stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment